Ceres-Negros FC sets a date with Port FC after a tight 3-2 win against Shan United

Back for more intercontinental football, Ceres-Negros FC came out with the full intention of making it to the next round of the AFC Champions League qualifiers as they went on a full-barrage against Shan United.

The busmen put on a show in front of a respectable crowd of 3,704 at the

Robert Lopez Mendy opened the scoring on the fifth minute of the match as he piled on a tasty pass from Hikaru Minigeshi before finishing off with his weak foot.

Porteria tried to go for the second goal from long range but his shot went wide on the eight-minute.

Mendy called for a handball after he tried to get past the defenders. Came from a sweet lob from Stephan Schröck on the ninth minute.

Ceres had a great spell of possession as they tried to look for the second goal of the match. On the other hand, Shan United looked composed in preventing the home side from scoring.

Exchange of passes in the midfield between Mike Ott and Bienvenido Marañon almost led to another goal only to be thwarted by the defenders for a corner.

Takashi Odawara won a foul on the 16th minute which gave Schröck a chance to strike from distance but was easily saved by the keeper.

Marañon went inches close to their second goal after a lovely sequence of play that started with Takashi Odawara.

He sent a searching ball inside the box to Minigeshi who then headed it to the path of Ott. Ott fed a through pass to Marañon but his weak-footed shot went inches away from the post.

Dangerous tackle from Hein Thiha Zaw on Porteria resulted in a yellow card on the 28th minute.

Minigeshi went on a marauding run on the 30th minute to have a crack on goal but his effort on target was blocked by Daniel Tagoe.

Porteria fed a sweet cross to Marañon who then booked the second goal of the match on the 40th minute to give the home side the comfort they need heading into the second half.

Porteria came close on scoring the third goal for the busmen had he not taken too much time with the ball inside the box on the cusp of half-time.

The second half kicked off with the busmen going all-out attack against Shan United and not giving an inch of space for the travelling side.

The first 10 minutes of the second half saw Ceres giving it their all to pull away from the visitors. It was on the 55th minute where Marañon came close to his brace but his effort just hit the crossbar.

Shan United, on the other hand, got their best chance on goal past the hour mark as the free-kick from Yakubu Abubakar went wide after a deflection from a Ceres-Negros FC defender.

An effort from Dennis Villanueva almost resulted in a goal for the visiting side but thanks to Roland Muller’s heroics, he was able to clear his lines and get rid of the danger.

The visitors eventually got a goal back thanks to Zin Min Tun on the 73rd minute. A lovely-orchestrated cross from Hein Phyo Win found Min Tun free inside the box who then headed it past Muller.

Pika Minigeshi almost doubled the lead again a minute after but his effort was easily saved by Thina Sithu.

Calls for a penalty against Shan United came up on the 75th when Mendy looked to be tackled by Tagoe but the referee found the sliding tackle clean and waived off the plea from the Ceres-Negros’ faithful.

The busmen got their two-goal lead back thanks to Porteria who latched on a cross from Ott with a half-volleyed shot that went past Sithu.

Tensions flared up during the latter stages of the match as tackles went flying to the dismay of the visitors and forced Ali Hasan Ebrahim Abdulnabi to give a number of cautions for both sides.

Three minutes before the end of the match, Shan United gave the home side quite a scare as Maximin Djawa pulled one back. They almost had their equalizer a minute after but Keith Nah’s effort went flying over the bar.

Villanueva forced a yellow card with a minute remaining on the clock as he pulled Nah to the ground to prevent a possible goal-scoring opportunity.

With four minutes added on the clock, Shan United came close to the equalizer as Kyaw Nanda went for the goal from the free-kick but his effort sailed past Muller.

Time was not enough for the visiting side as the full-time whistle has been blown with the three-time Philippines Football League coming out on top to progress to the next stage of the competition where they will face Thailand’s Port FC.

Most Popular

To Top